Initiating Group meeting 2010-08-30 Aug 30th

Share

Present: Kevin, Liz, Judy, Owen, Graham, Susan

Management

Treasurer’s Report – reviewed and accepted.

Event Schedule

August 27 – home movie – rescheduled to October 5 “No Impact Man”

Sept. 10/11 – Permaculture workshop – Kevin noted that the registration is low. He will send out another notice. Posters were given out today for distribution.

October 24 – visioning and working group session – half the meeting will be reserved at the September 13th – meeting to prepare for this event

November 7 – Celebration of local food – local food people need to be contacted for this event. Kevin will send out a spreadsheet and the IG will divvy up the contacts. He will also mail out an info sheet on the purpose of the event and details. The event will be held at the Unitarian Hall from 2 – 5 pm.

Connecting with Other Groups

50 mile Challenge/Skookum/Kale Force – Wendy is unable to continue staffing the info table. As it is late in the season, it was agreed to discontinue.

10/10/10 – Kevin reported that a small group of people had a planning meeting and they are making progress.

Sea to sky – Kevin hasn’t heard back re the TTPR sponsorship of $100.

Addition to agenda: Community Registration Fair – this event will be held on Thursday

September 9 at the Complex. Volunteers will be needed for the table. FYI a community garage sale will take place on the following Saturday.

Addition to agenda: Murray Dobbins will be giving a talk in September. TTPR will provide some publicity.

Working Groups

Alternative Transportation Working Group Report (ATWG) – excerpts from a report prepared by Owen.

Since the last report in July the ATWG met with Mayor Stewart Alsgard on Aug. 27th to discuss several issues.

There are now 5 new Nova buses with greatly enhanced environmental standards and fuel savings. He hopes to acquire more – suggested we contact Gerry Woods, transit supervisors to discuss expanded bus services. The municipality hopes to expand bus services in Jan. 2011. The Council is also working on the gas tax request. To the Province. Painting bike lanes will occur on Joyce and Manson and indicated that the “share the Road’ project will proceed. Susan Jersak noted that she heard Vancouver has experienced safety concerns with this concept. Sidewalk construction and improvements are underway in various parts of the city and new bus shelters are built and more are planned. A turn-around at Myrtle Ave. will be done soon to accommodate bus service to the Farmers Market.

Owen has contacted PRACL re bikes for a free bike service in town but research and planning will be required before this project is initiated. He also asked Jason if he would be interested in a fall bike check workshop at the Farmers’ Market.

Local Currency – Barry continues to work on this but he needs someone in the group to take on an organizing role while he is out of town.

Green Building – Graham reported that this group meets every Tuesday. The participants have a good base of building experience and are active and enthusiastic. They would like to build a demo of ram earth construction (sire wall construction) and thought the Willingdon Beach washroom would be an ideal public location to do it and include a solar powered washroom. Graham also referred the group to TED on the web, and in particular to William McDonough to learn more about green construction.

Other Business –

Logo design/contest – Logo No. 2 was decided upon.

City/Regional composting – Susan met with Colin Palmer and Debbie Dee. Colin gave her an outline of the status of this initiative. The goal is to have zero recycling. A study was completed two years ago and for those interested, the contact is Richard Stogre at City Hall Engineering. The IG discussed how we could best encourage recycling – a two pronged approach – work with local recyclers (Augusta) and learn more about what actually are recyclable products, and the reduction of recycling at the source and ways to encourage ethical purchasing.

Ministerial Presentation – Sue and Kevin will get together to prepare a presentation.

Transition Together – a concept that works locally street by street to encourage peer support, working together and bull purchasing for example. The website is

http://www.transitionetwork.org/projects/transition-together

Leave a Reply