Steering Group meeting Sep 8th
Present: Kevin, Lizzie, Julie, David Parkinson, Susan, Owen, Wendy
Tabled to next meeting
Awareness-Raising Event Schedule
Sep 9th Transport Evening
- Objectives for the evening: create interest group(s) such as TPR Transportation group, bicycling or other special interest groups.
- Timetable – watch videos, then split out into discussion groups for Cycling, Public Transportation, Walking, Better use of Cars, How to Give Up Your Car.
- Setup at 6pm.
- Kevin will send out call for participants
Sep 12th Community Info Fair table
Julie, Liz, Kevin, David from 11-12 only. Setup at 8am. Kev call the complex about getting a table against the wall so we can have our display behind us.
Sep 16th: Food Inc movie at the Patricia
David will talk to Ann Nelson and let us know how this is to be organised.
Sep 26-27: Fall Fair
Owen, Liz, Susan and Julie volunteered: we need more. Kevin is working on teh Fair fulltime and is unavailable.
October Food Event
Change date to 17/18 weekend, Sunday preferred.
Ideas for focus:
- Celebration of local food people and organisations.
- Bring food plants and swap
- food plant door prizes
- make the connection between food activities and Transition
Possible titles / event names:
- Thought for Food
- A Celebration of Local Food
- Local Food Thanksgiving
- Thanks to Local Food Growers
- (Local) Food for the Future
- Future Food Now
- Food in Transition
Ideas for content / displays / etc
- get Wendy Brown to donate food/transition-related cartoons (as door prizes? Silent auction?)
- Have a display of food produced here
- Food movies running continuously on a laptop
- bring garden samples, collect and pass on to teh food bank
- Have small displays from groups involved in local food
- transition display – how local food relates to Transition
- Honor people and groups: certificate of appreciation, municipal button, CU hearts (Susan J will investigate)
Announce event at Sep 9th meeting, and give out handbills, don’t worry about a poster yet.
- Endof Suburbia screening
- proposed date Thursday 19 Nov, or a weekend daytime (Sun 8/15/22)
- Susan J will talk to Ann about showing at the Patricia
December “Powerdown Party”
- After dinner
- need a mass of interested people
- could be a private TPR party rather than public
- lots of competition for time and attention in December
- check possible dates
- Possible joint working group with Chamber of COmmerce
- Keynote speaker? Hard to do in a “fair” context, too much distraction and noise
- Include Comox businesses? Comox non-profit groups? (non competing)
- Coincide with Sustainability Charter coming out – announce charter at event? Susan will talk to Charter people.
- Workshops? Maybe next time – focus on Fair aspect this year.
Connecting with other groups in town
Pebble in the Pond AGM Sep 17th
Malaspina Land Conservancy AGM coming up – Oct 15th? – David to check
Transition Training in Victoria, Oct 23-25
At the next meeting – brainstorm a list of people and groups to honor at the Celebration Oct 18th.